At this current moment, I really don't know how I feel about this placement. The main reason for this is that I have just started actually being a presence in the classroom. During my first week, the teacher placed me in the back of the classroom, and I just observed. Last week, I was actually introduced to the students and have been able to help out. Overall, I'm just happy to be back in a math classroom that isn't at the college level.
As for my co-op teacher, I have mixed feelings about her. I think she is a really good teacher, and she does an excellent job integrating technology in the classroom. Yet, there have just been somethings that she has said that makes me a bit discouraged. For example, the other day we were talking about the success of the lesson that she had taught that day. She mentioned that she had to skip some stuff on the curriculum because it was apparently way too challenging for the class. She also said that she was going to teach the kids how to pass a multiple-choice test. I felt very discouraged and a bit disappointed. These kids need more, and those things she said are not it. I just felt like she was not looking past the fact these students are either repeaters, ELLs, or EC. So far that has been the only thing that has made me a bit discouraged. I have agreed on several other things that she has told me so that's why there are mixed feelings.
In the end, time will tell if this is going to either be another excellent practicum or a bust. I really hope it is the first.
No comments:
Post a Comment