So, I am suppose to write a reflection on what differences were accepted and not accepted while I was in high school, and to be honest, I really don't remember. I had a good time in high school when it came to things academic wise, but socially, things were a bust. The reason for this was the fact that my differences were not really accepted.
When I was in high school, I was a somewhat stereotypical geek. I was smart, quiet, and kept to myself. I was also starting to come into my love of musical theatre. All in all, I was definitely different, and there were times when it was not something that was accepted. A good example of a time when my persona was not accepted was when I was friends with a boy named Scott. He was nerdy, quiet, and kept to himself. Everyone made fun of him, and because of that, I tried to lay low when it came to being smart. In other words, I tried to fit in as much as possible. Much of the time it worked, but there were times when I did get made fun of. In the end, I guess you can say that being smart was not something that was accepted.
Now, something that was accepted that I do remember now were the students who had some kind of sever learning or physical disability. Towards the end of my high school career, I remember people actually being really supportive to those who had severe handicaps. There was one kid who had a physical handicap, and a lot of people liked him. It seemed that these people were able to look past the physical handicap and get to know the actual guy.
As I said, the rest of high school is kind of a blur right now, but I do know the list of differences that were accepted and not accepted extends way beyond the two examples that I mentioned. I just wish I could remember them right now. Maybe I will in a couple days time.
No comments:
Post a Comment