Monday, September 13, 2010

Peer Teaching Experience

Going into the peer teaching, I was extremely nervous. The main part of the nervousness came from the fact that I felt somewhat unprepared for the presentation. I like to be prepared as much as a situation allows, and I felt like I had not reached that potential for this presentation. For one, I had no idea what I needed to put on my slides for my part. I went with my gut and just put the basic information (what the disability was and the symptoms). I had realized that day that I had forgotten on how to accommodate for the disability. The combination of this just made me feel really uncomfortable with the presentation. The other part of the nervousness came from the fact I was doing in front of my peers. For some reason, I get really nervous about doing things I know how to do in front of people I know. I do not know the cause, but it is something that happens all the time. All in all, the experience was something that I was not looking forward to.
During the peer teaching, I was nervous at the start of it, but I started to become less nervous. Once I was in the swing of things, I was comfortable with what I was doing and started to wing it if that was needed. When we did the second teaching, I definitely felt more comfortable and a little more flexible. That allowed me to shorten my information and get the point across clearer and a bit faster. In the end, the second teaching was a lot better than the first.
After the whole experience, I definitely felt relieved. I was glad that it was over and ready to move on. Yet, I was also in a state of reflection. I reflected on the things that went well and the things that did not go well. I also started making a mental list of things that would help me out in my next peer teaching assignment. All in all, I felt good after the experience was over and am ready to do another one.
Looking back at this current moment, I am glad that we were able to do this experience. It definitely helped make things I have previously learned click a little bit better. Also, it allowed me to get an experience of what teachers actually do from lesson to lesson. It was really cool for me, and it is something that I can’t wait to do again. It definitely showed me that there are times when it is ok to change things that I have planned. In the end, it is something I am happy to do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment